Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Shredder... Returns?


This budding Archon has been scheming, plotting and dreaming about which units will be mustered for war. And, like many, I've noted the devastating potential of Trueborn loaded with darklight.

As it happens, I've so far only managed to buy one box of warriors, and they've been established as a raider squad. Noting that there is exactly one of each special warrior weapon in the box, I have planned my order of warrior buying and building accordingly.

The second warrior box I pick up will be dedicated to a dark lance / blaster home objective holder squad. These guys will be boots on the ground, probably accompanied by a Haemonculus to harden them up. The next warrior box will be another raider squad, similar to the first.

So when I pick up my fourth box of warriors, that will leave me with one blaster and three dark lances available. The dark lance minus barrel will look enough like a blaster to pass for one, so that gives me a four blaster Trueborn unit to make Land Raider drivers reach for their security blankets. But I've been toying with a few ideas on what to do with the other half of the box. And it has occurred to me, that I will also have four shredders.

The shredder gets a bad rep next to its snazzier cousin. All my raider squads will be toting blasters, and probably blast pistols, for the extra anti-tank threat. Besides, one shredder in a unit of dudes who are quite capable of annoying infantry themselves is not so scary.

Four of them in a dedicated shredder unit may be a different story. It should be straightforward enough to hit 3 models under a small blast marker, so 12+ hits from a round of shooting is quite possible. S6 is nothing to sneeze at, and the non-existent AP is mitigated when firing at units in cover (ie everything).

Naturally it will not be as good against anything with an armour value. But that may yet be an advantage, as they can act as surprise anti-transport! Even with a -1 to damage tables, four S6 hits on side or rear armour can make a mess of many light vehicles. And while the foe is busy running away from the darklight destroyers, he may just overlook these little guys!

At least, that's the plan. At the rate I paint, I'll be putting them together maybe, next December? Still, the best laid plans of men and Archons...

No comments:

Post a Comment